Open Date: 02/15/2018
Review Date: 03/17/2018
Job Category: Administrative
Department: Kinesiology and Health Science
College/Unit: E Eccles Jones Coll of Ed & Hum Svs
Location: Logan Campus
Posting Duration: Open Until Filled
Utah State University seeks a Department Head for Kinesiology and Health Science. The Department Head reports to the Dean of the Emma Eccles Jones College of Education and Human Services, and contributes to executive management of the college. This is a 12-month administrative appointment. The position starts July 1, 2018 or January 1, 2019 or as negotiated.
The Department Head is responsible for all School academic, human resource, and budgetary functions. These responsibilities include:
1. Leadership for Academic Quality – Work with department faculty to articulate a department mission, a strategic plan for the department and provide leadership and coordination across all instructional programs; coordinate faculty hiring; conduct annual performance reviews of faculty and staff; manage personnel resources assigned to the department, and promote high performance standards for faculty and staff; and move the department forward while considering the pace of change.
2. Leadership for Administrative Operations – Develop effective communication processes and be accessible to department faculty and staff; involve faculty and staff in major department decisions; manage personnel, fiscal and space resources of the department in an effective and efficient manner that aligns to the department mission and goals; attend to administrative details in a manner that fosters a positive atmosphere in the department.
3. Leadership Building the Reputation of the Department – Develop external grants and contracts to help achieve strategic goals; actively pursue development opportunities; foster strong ties to health related agencies; promote national visibility for department programs; effectively advocate for the department both on and off campus; and recognize faculty, staff, and student accomplishments.
4. Leadership in Fostering the Success of the College and the University – Advocate effectively for the college and university; positively communicate college and university policies and perspectives to faculty, staff and students; contribute to the development of policies and programs that move the college and university forward in a constructive manner; and maintain high standards of professional ethics.
Department of Kinesiology and Health Science (KHS)
The Department provides a dynamic, high quality, accredited program of education and training in Kinesiology and Health Science. Our campus-based and off-campus graduate programs provide, MS, MED, MPH and PhD degrees to students who teach, provide community leadership, work in industry, or conduct research. More than 1000 undergraduate and 90 graduate students are currently matriculated in our programs. The Department offers an extensive program of elective activity courses, serving approximately 3,000 Utah State University students per semester.
The Department is accredited with the Utah State Office of Education, the Utah Board of Regents, and the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU). The new Department Head will join a vital group of more than 1000 faculty located on the Logan campus and on various Regional Campuses.
As part of a land grant institution, we deliver our programs to students on campuses across the state of Utah through interactive broadcast and online delivery. We value our partnerships with local, state, national, and international leaders and welcome the many ongoing opportunities we have to collaborate toward common goals. Drawing on the extensive knowledge base in both theoretical and practice-oriented research, we nurture a vision of effective, equitable educational experiences for all of our students.
The College and University
Utah State University (USU) is a Carnegie Doctoral land-grant university of higher research activity. It is in the top 3% of higher education institutions in the country. USU received $240 million in research awards during the 2016 fiscal year. Enrollment (undergraduate and graduate students) exceeds 27,000. There are 41 schools and departments in eight academic colleges and a School of Graduate Studies that offers 38 doctoral degrees and 96 master’s degrees. USU has a national and international reputation for its education, agricultural, aerospace-engineering, and natural resources academic programs. The College of Education and Human Services is ranked 6th nationally in external funding with over $46 million in external grants and contracts (US News and World Report, 2017). It is one of the largest colleges of education in the nation, with eight departments, an elementary laboratory school, over 130 tenure-track faculty, and hundreds of research-supported employees.
Logan is a community of more than 100,000 people located in Cache Valley in the mountains of northern Utah, 80 miles north of Salt Lake City. It is at the mouth of Logan Canyon, a scenic gateway to a wide variety of recreational opportunities. There are forest service campgrounds and extensive fishing, biking, and hiking opportunities within a few miles of campus. Bear Lake (a large, multiuse recreational lake on the Utah / Idaho border) is just 40 miles away through Logan Canyon. Skiing is available within a few miles of campus. The city schools have a reputation of being strong academically and are well respected throughout the valley. Housing costs are moderate. Logan boasts a large regional hospital and excellent medical and dental care services.
1. An earned doctorate in one of the disciplines represented in the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science;
2. Academic expertise in a discipline relevant to a Department of Kinesiology and Health Science;
3. Appreciation of and willingness to advocate for the disciplines within the Department;
4. An outstanding record of scholarship and grant development that would merit appointment as a full professor in a college department;
5. Experience as a department head, associate department head, program director, or similar leadership role in a unit that includes varied disciplines;
6. Experience managing complex higher education departmental operating budgets or large grant budgets;
7. Experience developing and leading undergraduate and graduate (masters and doctoral) student preparation programs;
8. A compelling inclusive vision regarding the role, function, and future of the Department of Kinesiology and Health Science;
9. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive, and productive relationships among faculty, staff, and academic leaders from wide-ranging disciplines;
10. An established reputation as a scholar; and
11. Demonstrated understanding of lab-based research using human subjects.
1. Demonstrated experience in advocating for and developing resources for program support both within the university and through development efforts;
2. Evidence of successful cross-disciplinary and cross-departmental collaboration;
3. Evidence of managing a distance education program and/or managing faculty located on regional campuses;
4. Experience with and understanding of instructional principles that produce high quality broadcast and online learning environments;
5. Experience chairing doctoral dissertation research;
6. Experience promoting faculty research activity and grantsmanship;
7. Experience with program accreditation procedures and organizations.
Opportunity Type: Full-Time w/benefits package
Percent of Time or Hours per Week: 100%
Advertised Salary: Salary is competitive based on qualifications. An excellent fringe benefit package is provided that includes medical and disability insurance and retirement benefits that amount to approximately one third of the salary.
Brief Summary of Work for this Position: The School of Health and Applied Human Sciences, within the College of Health...Apply For This Job
GatorWell Health Promotion Services is seeking an enthusiastic, outgoing, professional motivated to lead interpersonal violence prevention initiatives at the University...Apply For This Job
Health Department SUNY Cortland POSITION: Full-time tenure track position in Community Health and Health Promotion at the rank of Assistant...Apply For This Job